Bridges have a crucial function within the Amfilissos Area Flow Grid, as they allow two types of flow (road and stream: land and water) to intersect without disruption of either.
Bridges have been constructed at all the key intersections of the roads and streams in the the Amfilissos area, starting in ancient times, with improvements being made to bridges on key roads during the period of the Hegemony (1870-1913), together with some more recent bridge reconstruction, particularly on the Karlovasi-Pyrgos main road, in order to carry the greater weight and volume of traffic as the roads were progressively widened during the past half century.
Interchange between water and land flows should be possible at each bridge, but the access paths between the road crossing a bridge and the underflowing stream are often not well maintained, and in some case have been blocked. These interchange pathways play an important role in the Flow Grid. In cases where they have been eradicated or blocked, they should be restored.
Ancient Bridges on the Amfilissos River
Ancient bridge on the old Skourieka-Neochori road, with the plaque showing its constructors' names
Ancient bridge beside the Koumeika-Skoureika road
Bridges of the Hegemony Period (1870-1913)
Bridge under the Square ........................Bridge at top of the village
Bridge on the Koumeika-Skoureika road: built during the Hegemony period, now with modern concrete capping
Modern Bridges on the Karlovasi-Pyrgos road
These bridges have replaced earlier bridges in order to carry the greater weight and volume of traffic that now uses this road
Bridge at Pyrgos
Bridge at Koutsi